Before you get too nervous, there is a very good reason for it. Because brackets are attached to your teeth using a basic dental cement, eating foods that are extra hard or sticky can cause the brackets to pop off, which will mean an unexpected dental visit for repair and delaying your treatment. And yes, they are made of metal, but they can be damaged by eating the wrong foods. Not only that, but food that cannot be cleaned off braces with a simple brushing and flossing may lead to discoloration and decay of your teeth. The good thing is, if you stay on task, your experience will go smoothly. So, here is a list to keep on the fridge while you are wearing braces:
- Absolutely no gum, sugarless or otherwise
- Chewy foods like bagels, hard rolls and licorice
- Crunchy foods, such as popcorn, ice and chips
- Sticky foods, including caramels, taffy and gum
- Hard foods like nuts are healthy but can break your teeth like hard candy
- Crispy foods you bite into, like corn on the cob, apples or carrots
- Also avoid biting into non-food items, such as nail-biting and pencil-chewing habits
If you have questions or concerns regarding your dietary restrictions, contact Dr. Elham Tayefi, DDS at (905) 237-7842 to schedule a consultation today, or visit www.artdentfamilydentistry.com for additional information.
Dr. Elham Tayefi proudly serves Richmond Hill and all surrounding areas.